Re: Super Typhoon Paka

Replying to Catherine's Query:

> What is spun concrete? I have never heard of it. It almost sounds like
> "throwing a pot" (a ceramics term)

I think your impression is about right. I believe they use a cylindrical mould to cast concrete utility poles, and spin them to create hollow concrete tubes. I'm not sure how they prestress them, but I suppose the prestresssing is done before the casting and the wires cut after steam curing.

If you want a better explanation than my hazy recollection, any of the big precast concrete manufacturers will explain it all.

Jim Warne, Vancouver, Canada