Fw: Super Typhoon Paka - Spun Concrete Poles

----------
> From: Kathleen  A. O'Brien <wildwoman1(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>
> To: INTERNET:seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
> Subject: Re: Super Typhoon Paka
> Date: Saturday, January 03, 1998 3:29 PM
>
> Thanks for the spun concrete info. I t would be neat to see it done
> sometime.
>
> Kate O'Brien

I'm not sure if the issue of spun concrete poles came up in my or John's
e-mail account of Paka, but it is as Jim Warne said:
the manufacturer uses a cylindrical form which slits into two halves (more
or less).  Prestress wire is placed in the form and drawn taut, and spiral
wire reinforcement is also installed.  Concrete fills one of the halves to
a certain level, then the other half of the form is closed down and locked
tight.  The form rests on rollers which are used to drive the form so it
spins.  The concrete is forced out so that the pole becomes hollow, and I
believe that an accelerator is used in the concrete, because the form must
spin until the concrete sets.  I'm not sure about how they cap the ends,
though.

T. Eric Gillham