Re: File Backups

We have had some discussion on hardware for backups, but now I would like to
shift the focus to procedure and scheduling.  What I would like to see is
other's opinions, strategies, etc. on backing up computer files.

We currently use tape backup.  Every day we backup all the files that were
modified that day.  We use three tapes and rotate them when they fill up.
When the third tape is full we begin again on the first.

Periodically (we define periodically as whenever we think it is time) we do a
total backup of the hard drive or only the directory that contains all the
project files.

I would like to hear of a more systematic approach to scheduling backups and
using tapes from some of you experienced backuppers (new word).

Richard Lewis, P.E.
Missionary TECH Team
rlewis(--nospam--at)techteam.org