Re: File Backups

I don't know if I am a "backupper" (experienced or not) or a goforwarder :-).

Anyway, my procedure for backing up is to do partial backups daily and full
backups weekly on Friday/Saturday.  I use 5 tapes for my daily backup (one
each day), take them home with me daily, and keep them at home until the
weekly full backup is made.  It is most important to keep your backup tapes
*off-site* so that if anything happens to your office, you can quickly
restore your files on another system.  If anything happens to your off-site
location, a new backup can always be made.  On Fridays, after I do my partial
backup, I do a full backup using a batch routine that does a CHKDSK and also
defrags all my hard drive partitions.  At the present, I am rotating two sets
of tapes for the full backups and thinking of going to three sets.  One full
backup set is always kept off-site, and when I go to three sets, the latest
two full backups would be kept off-site.

I use a Colorado (aka H-P) tape system but don't compress my backup files.  I
am very leery of proprietary compression routines.  If the Colorado software
used PKZIP or LZH compression, I would probably not be so hesitant to
compress the files as these compression/decompression routines are readily
available.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona