URM

Thanks to Dennis for responding to my earlier post. I am suprised no one
else has an opinion regarding collectors for crosswalls.

By definition (see UCBC commentary) "A crosswall is not considered as a
shear wall in that it need not be designed for the tributary loads of
the flexible diaphragm or diaphragms. The crosswall decreases the
displacement of the center of the diaphragm relative to the shear walls
and wil provide damping of the response of the diaphragm to earthquake
shaking."

My take on this is that installation of collector elements would not be
appropriate in that the crosswall is not carrying (collecting) trubutary
load of the diaphragm. The code requirement for the connection of these
walls to the diaphragm is only that they be connected for the crosswall
capacity. In most cases this can be achieved within the length of the
crosswall.

Have I sufficiently baited anyone else to respond ? :)

Regards,

Mark D. Baker
Baker Engineering