Re: URM

In a message dated 98-01-08 18:45:52 EST,  shake4bake(--nospam--at)earthlink.net write:

>  My take on this is that installation of collector elements would not be
>  appropriate in that the crosswall is not carrying (collecting) trubutary
>  load of the diaphragm. The code requirement for the connection of these
>  walls to the diaphragm is only that they be connected for the crosswall
>  capacity. In most cases this can be achieved within the length of the
>  crosswall.

Mark:  Your interpretation is correct.  I was on the CALBO/SEAOC committee
that wrote Appendix Chapter 1, and recall several meetings when we wordsmithed
the language in the commentary to make this point clear.

Frank Lew, SE