Re: URM

> The code requirement for the connection of these [cross-]
>walls to the diaphragm is only that they be connected for the crosswall
>capacity. In most cases this can be achieved within the length of the
>crosswall.
>
>Have I sufficiently baited anyone else to respond ? :)
>
>Regards,
>
>Mark D. Baker
>Baker Engineering

>if so, then you don't need to check the connection to the
>diaphragm.

The responses preceding this one are reasonable and well-stated, but they
all focus on satisfying what the Code wants.  Do you also have an interest
in the perhaps separate purpose of satisfying what the Building wants? It
might be different enough to matter --to the building.

But that's a private concern between you and the building. You get to work
out that little relationship in your own style, without us "in-laws"
watching. It can be a lot of fun, too. It's where you get to perform
engineering free-style, after doing the compulsories for the judges. If you
do this, and if it's fun, please don't let anyone know. There are several
code-change committees out there who don't like engineers to use independent
judgment and enjoy it without guilt.

Thanks for baiting another response on this provocative retrofit concept.

Chuck Greenlaw, S.E., Sacramento CA