RE: Shear Strength of Rivets

According to the 1923 Carnegie Steel "Pocket Companion", the allowable
shear stress for a 3/4" rivet ranged from 7000 psi tp 12,000 psi, for an
allowable load range (in single shear) of 3090 lbs to 5300 lbs (A=0.4418
in^2).  Allowable bearing stresses ranged from 14,000 psi to 24,000 psi
for 3/4" rivets.

Hope this helps.

Tony Powers
HDR Engineering