Re: roto-hammers, masonry & city of LA

At 11:01 AM 1/12/98 -0800, you wrote:
>we are planning on using a 'helifix' anchor system
>to retrofit a masonry building. The installation of these anchors
>requires the use of a pre-drilled hole in the mansory.
>During conversation with the anchor manufacturer, he stated
>that the City of LA does not allow the use of impact or
>roto-hammers on masonry retrofits. -This seems a bit restrictive.
>Has anyone heard of this? - if so, could you explain why?
>
>thanks in advance,
>
>Tim
>________________________________
>Tim Terich
>Century West Engineering Corp.
>825 NE Multnomah, Suite 425
>Portland, OR 97232
>v(503) 231-6078 f(503) 231-6482
>cwec(--nospam--at)teleport.com

Tim,
This has been a requirement for the City of Los Angeles since the begining
of the URM Retro-fit programs.  The vibrations created by impact tools
threatens the integrity of the lime/sand mortar connection to the bricks.
This bond connection needs to be treated as gently as possible.

R. Sandy Pringle, Chair	       STRUCTURAL INSPECTION CONSULTANTS Inc.
SEAOSC				 (800)598-1970  Fax (310)376-5294
Inspection Practices Committee	 Hermosa Beach & Redondo Beach, CA
sandyp(--nospam--at)sic-inc.com 		     	http://www.sic-inc.com

	It's not a matter of where you stand,
	 but in what direction you're headed.