INSP - Special Inspection Epoxy Anchors -Reply

Expansion anchor product approvals list the MINIMUM torque that is
necessary to activate the allowable load properties of the anchor. On the
contrary, most product approvals for adhesive anchors list the MAXIMUM
torque that can be applied. This limit is to ensure that the mechanical
bond is not broken between the threads of the all-thread rod and the
adhesive.

Torque testing of adhesive anchors (epoxy or esters) will only give you
some idea if the epoxy bonded to the base material (IE-concrete or
masonry). Torque testing for these purposes generally use lower values
than for expansion anchors.   When desired, specifying a torque for
adhesive anchors must fall below the MAXIMUM allowed.

>>> Stan Johnson <hawneng(--nospam--at)wac.com> 01/15/98 10:28am >>>
Pringle  ... Silva ... anybody?

For wedge anchors and the like, I have seen
special inspection criteria which use torque  on
the nut to test the anchor.  I understand that
this is generally justified because in these types
of anchors, the ability of the anchor to resist
forces is intimately connected to the amount of
torque applied during installation.

What about torque testing of epoxy anchor systems,
Like Hilti's HY150 (we are trying to anchor stuff
in Zone 4).

Stan Johnson,  PE,  Sorry I haven't been active on
the list lately, but I've been rather busy.