Re: Disaster dilema

How can one assure the safety of the persons occupying damaged homes and
apartments with aftershocks follow-up, especially after such a large
earthquake.  The magnitude of damage need to be classified.  After the
Northridge EQ., green tab had been changed to yellow or red tab and vice
versa after second visits by another inspector or engineers.

One needs to define the definition of the damaged structures that don't
pose collapse hazard before allowing people to live in such buildings.

One suggestion is to send the national guards to build a tent city for
the displaced people, which is a lot safer to live in damaged structures
and also speed up the repair process.

How many volunteer engineers can OES mobilize in such a large
earthquake?

>From Tom Chiu, SE
Thomas Engineering