Disaster dilema

>>From the safety assessment program standpoint is this a viable
solution?<<

As I recall, after the Northridge Earthquake, many people were afraid to go
back onto their houses. I saw many folks living on their property in tents,
RV's what have you. They would creep into the house to get stuff (or to
show me damaged areas) but no way they were going to live inside them until
they were fixed.

As it happens, we only have 5 or 10 minutes to make a decision on
red/green/yellow tagging. I would feel a lot better if people would stay
the hell out of the house until subsequent inpsections. There is also the
problem of aftershocks.

>>What about fire hazards?  Would this approach result in faster repairs of
damaged structures or slower repairs?  Any comments would be welcome>>

I finished up my last earthquake repair job about 4 months ago, so who
knows from slow??

Kate O'Brien, P.E.
Simi Valley, CA