Re: Re: Timber pitched roof as a Diaphragm

seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org,Internet writes:
>I am not aware of any software for this application.
>my personal opinion is that diapragms do not really
>work for pitches over 6:12 unless you prvide a line
>of bracing close to the ridge line.
>my 2 cents worth.
>

>Tarek Mokhtar
>consulting engineer

 >Thanks for the response Tarek.  I am of similar opinion and I normally
>specify a diaphragm or braced connection at or near the ridge line.  The
>problem becomes difficult where the ceiling is to be vaulted.  As a further
>analytical tool for large roofs what do you think of using analyses like
>that used for steel deck design?  Or using thin shell analyses?

I can't quite picture what you are discussing here.  Are you stating that a
roof with a pitch over 6:12 will not behave as a diaphragm unless there is a
special connection at the ridge?  What is a braced connection at the ridge?
How does a vaulted ceiling come into play?  Without seeing sketches I find it
hard to follow what is being discussed.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this further.

Richard Lewis, P.E.
Missionary TECH Team
rlewis(--nospam--at)techteam.org