Re:

At 09:26 PM 1/19/98 -0800, you wrote:
>The role of structural engineer in the construction team has changed
>quite a lot recently, thanks to the enforcement of the Structural
>Observation Code section by some major cities in California and the
>awareness of construction deficiencies by some conscious owners.
>
>When I first start practicing structural engineering back in 1982. A
>typical job usually required only a couple of site visits by structural
>engineer.  Most cities, especially the small ones, never asked for
>structural observation letters from the EOR. In some jobs, you never get
>to see a single rebar or joists ..., the next time you passed by the job
>site, it was already occupied. So as long as the inspectors okay it, the
>contractor got the Cert. of occupancy.  I think it is still the same
>practice in most small cities.  Shame on them.
>
>Major city like LA has enforced Structural Observations for quite a few
>years already. So the contractors will have to get a ok from both the
>city inspectors and the structural engineer in order to get passed.
>This has improved the finished construction quite a lot. Sometimes, you
>will be surprised what is happening in the real world if you just stay
>in the office doing design.  Structural observations will definitely
>improve our design skills and decrease construction deficiencies.
>
>Tom Chiu, SE
>Thomas Engineering
>Walnut, CA
>

>Arenson wrote:
>>
>> I've recently been asked this question and thought I would solicit a few
opinions.

>> What is the role of the structural engineer in the
Architecture/Engineer/Construction team?

>> What has it historically been?
>>
>> What changes are currently taking place?
>>
>> Regards
>> Nick Arenson

Please send your email to our list server at the following address:

seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org

There are over thousand engineers subscribed to this list. I am sure they
will be able to help you. If you are not subscribed to SEAOC list, you can
NOT post messages to the list.

To subscribe to the list, send an email to
admin(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
and in the body of the message type "join seaoc" (no quotes). You can leave
the subject of your message blank.

Hope that helps. Also remember to visit our web site at:
http://www.seaoc.org

Shafat Qazi, P.E.
Chair SEAOC CAC