Re: Timber pitched roof as a Diaphragm

Me too.  Thank you for your Christmas card and apologies for not returning
same.  Our household is rarely up to speed at festival times.

The poser was how to rationalize the transfer of lateral load (I have
revised your sketch below) from the walls on one side of the roof to the
other side when the ceiling is vaulted and there is no wish for ceiling
diaphragm and/or bracing.

=====>  Load in

   ____Shear wall (a) ___________
>|                                                           |
>|        PORTION 1                         <===Vaulted ceiling
>|                                                           |     Under
>|                                                           |
>|_  _Ridge Line_ __ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ | <== Gable
>|       No Shearwall                             |        End (both ends?)
>|         PORTION 2                             |
>        Shearwall (b)

        Restraining Load  <=====
         (wall or whatever)

Thor Tandy P.Eng