Midwest and Southeast Type V Engineering

Fellow Engineers -

I am an engineer in California.  Currently, I am trying to develop a new
business idea related to residential construction.

I am looking for information on plan preparation requirements for structural
engineering and architecture for residential (Type V) structures, i.e. houses,
additions, etc., in the Midwest and the Southeast.  I am particularly
interested in how often engineers and archtitects prepare plans for these
types of projects or if the plans are generated directly by the contractor or
the home owner.

I am also interested in whether or not contractors can buy construction and
finish materials for these types of projects at either Menard's (Midwest) or
Lowe's (Southeast).  Also, if you have any personal contacts at Menard's or
Lowe's, I would appreciate it if you could put me in contact with them.

If my idea develops as planned, hopefully this will benefit all of us in the
residential portion of the engineering market.

If you have any knowledge of these parts of the country or these stores,
please email me at "parkerres(--nospam--at)aol.com", with your name and phone number, and I
will happily call you.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bruce Resnick, SE
Parker Resnick Str. Eng.