Re: Disaster dilemma

The battle between Architect and Engineer will probably never end. The main
reason to have an architect as part of the emergency team is so that he can
view the damage and understand just why we have been nagging him to design
more shearwalls or restraint into his aesthetic package. Maybe while the
damage is so fresh in his memory he will remember that he needs to balance
appearance with reasonable safety measures.
The latest "look of beauty" in high end architectural homes here in the
desert is the "glass-to-glass" corner where not supporting post or mullion
is used and a weather sealing strip is used to provide a positive connection
of the glass to protect the HVAC enviornment inside.  I have tried to stress
the potential problems with this type of connection when the headers
deflect, warp, twist, cup etc over time of in the event of a strong seismic
motion. I have seen these corners fail in strong winds as well as strong
motion.
Still the window companies supply these features and architects build them
into the design.
I went as far as to design a tension rod connection near the mid span
between supports for the cantilevered beams. I had thought of putting an
access panel into the wall (closet) so that if the beam end settles over the
years, the deflection can be adjusted by tightening the rod in the wall. The
contractor decided to put a post in so he did not have to drill through the
beam (a GLB) and install the plates as well as insure the anchorage to the
slab foundation.
Wouldn't it be great if architects learned to design based upon constraints
within their geographic region due to nature.
Dennis Wish PE