Re: Disaster dilemma

Dennis,

I could not agree with you more!  We have spent a considerable amount of
time talking about the structural problems within commercial structures and
the need for adequate seismic resistance.  I think it is time we now begin
to seriously talk about the same needs for homes and apartment buildings.

This whole discussion, which I started in order to gain a better idea for
how engineers feel about the housing issues related to disasters, I think
will lead to the development of some good documents on the issues.  I am
requesting the agency to take Rawn Nelson's approach and develop a program
on:  the types of damage typically suffered in residential structures; what
types of damage do not consititute a life safety hazard; how a home (or
apartment) owner can address these problems before the event; and what the
home owner (or apartment dweller) will need to do after the event in order
to have a place to live while these problems are addressed.

Thanks for your comments and support.