Re: Disaster dilemma

Richard_Ranous/OES(--nospam--at)oes.ca.gov wrote:

> I am glad to see that the old battles of architects vs. engineers are still
> alive.  You think that you guys have it bad in the sports arena--Los
> Angeles is trying to get the Raiders back!!!!!  Help us all!!!
>
> Speaking of major disasters!  Thank you all for your comments regarding the
> housing issue.  You have provided me with some food for thought.  I think
> the approach we will most likely take is to study some types of damage to
> homes and develop a training program for local governments on what types of
> damage consititue a life safety hazard and what kinds do not.  I think that
> we will also develop a fact sheet on the fire hazard issue.
>
> Any more comments that you may have will be greatly appreciated.
> Additionally, if any of you have photographs of various types of damage to
> single family residences and apartment buildings could you send them to me
> with the following information:
>
> 1.  Description of the damage
>
> 2.  Location of the structure
>
> 3.  Earthquake which caused the damage
>
> 4.  Your name and address
>

> Richard Ranous
> Governor's Office of Emergency Services
> 74 North Pasadena Ave.  8th floor
> Pasadena, California 91103
>
> Thank you all again.
I attended an ATC 20 seminar put on by the Structural Engineers
Association of Washington on January 15.  They have several slides of
earthquake damage to residential construction as part of their
presentation.  I believe part of these slides come from ATC and part
were taken by Washington structural engineers to add to the program.
You can contact SEAW at the following Email address:  seaw(--nospam--at)seaw.org
Mention ATC-20 and your question will get to the current chair.

Jill T. Shuttleworth, P.E., S.E.
SEAW South Central Chapter president

I tried to send this message directly to Richard but don't have the
correct Email address.