Re: Disaster dilemma

Serroels, Chris/SAC wrote:

How many architects have assisted in post-eq inspections
in the past?  If they are left out of the equation, are there
enough building officials, civil engineers, and structural
engineers to get the first pass inspections done in a
timely manner.
Fine, then let's use contractors and real estate agents as well.

Do we really feel that they are not competent to make
the assessments.  If they receive the rapid evaluation
training (ATC20) they should be able to make
appropriate assessments.

I dunno. I've been working with architects for eleven years now.While I do feel they are expert in a lot of areas, none have demonstrated
to me that they had any level of structural expertise.
To be fair to the architects,
we send a lot of young engineers out on these inspections
(present company included).
If you weren't qualified, you shouldn't have accepted the assignment either.
Keep in mind that, when the Northridge E/Q occurred, everyone in So Cal
was light on work (to put it mildly). Everybody and their brother jumped on
the E/Q inspection bandwagon.
 When I went out on Northridge
it was a very intimidating experience.  I was a pretty young
engineer and my partner was in the same boat.  What
experience we did have was in bridge design.  I feel that
we made prudent decisions, but having an more experienced
engineer on the team would of been extremely beneficial.

Let's not sell displaced homeowners short by making
them wait longer than they need to reoccupy their homes
just because we have a grudge with architects.

Nor should we give them a false sense of security that an inspection hasbeen done by a competent person when in fact this may not be true.

Regards,
Bill Allen

As a side note, I wonder if it would be possible to pair up
inspection teams so that if there is an inexperienced engineer
or architect that they go out with an experienced civil or structural
engineer.  I know that after an eq there is a fair amount of
disarray no matter how good the planning, so logistically this
may be hard to implement.  Nevertheless, it may be something
to consider.

Chris