Re: Disaster dilemma

I've tried to be as fair as I can when assesing architects ability to perform structural engineering. I have even accepted the fact that they are allowed by law to perform calculations and detailing. Furthermore, I am convinced that this will never change since their lobby is infinitly more powerful than our's. To try and compensate, I have decided a long time ago that my new journal (yes, it is just about ready) will cater to both engineers and architects. I do this because I feel that someone has to provide them the proper information to use the tools that they have in order to protect the general public. If we can't stop them, maybe we can help them understand what they are doing.

Because of this, I am in full agreement with Bill Allen. As much latitude that I can give to an architects ability, I have not found one who understands how to tie together a load path. Some time ago I compared it to having a doctor who was a Protologist that decided to do Brain Surgery - and you know what you get with that.

I only wish we had some architects on the list who could debate the other side. I know a few of our list members are architects, but they have also taken and passed the SE exam (not that I am a supporter of the SE exam for doing structural engineering). I would have been happy if they passed the CE exam and wanted to practice engineering (don't flame me for this remark).

The only benifit I can see to having an architect on the emergency response team is to advise the engineers where the blind corridors are located.

Regards,
Dennis Wish PE