Re: Disaster dilemma

> There is usually a role for everyone sincere enough to offer his or her
> services.  It behoves the "leaders" to judge the capacity of any
individual
> and re-delegate according to the capabilities available.  This as fitting
in
> times of chaos as in normal circumstances.

I hate to throw a wet blanket on this discussion, but don't keep your hopes
up that this will actually happen.  Bureaucratic screw-ups and political
favoritism are more likely.  For example:

Shortly after the Northridge earthquake, the company I was working for then
was contacted by LA county to supply experienced structural engineers for
building inspections and rehabs.  The company was based in New Jersey and I
was one of those engineers (20+ years experience, etc., etc.)  The request
came on a Friday and I was told to be ready to report in LA on Monday morn,
provided I got a call.

I also just completed a job and was looking for work.  But no call came.
When I went back to find out what happened, I was told since I wasn't a
member of a minority race, I didn't qualify, at least according to LA
county.  I turned in my ID and Amex card, and the next day applied for
unemployment.  Being I can't sue or afford to sue for discrimination, I
could do nothing else but just move on.

Thus, the statement "It behoves the 'leaders' to judge the capacity of any
individual and re-delegate according to the capabilities available" is a
fairy tale.  Expect major screwups instead!