Re: Composits- Help

M/S SATELLITE SYSTEMS wrote:

> Hello Everybody !
>
>   Can anybody throw some light on the following problem faced by us ?
>
>      MODELING OF FRP COMPOSITE MATERIALS
>
>      COMPOSITES MADE OF WOVEN ROVINGS(FABRIC) HAVE FIBRES IN TWO MUTUALLY
>      PERPENDICULAR DIRECTIONS.  WHILE MODELLING FOR FEM ANALYSIS EACH LAYER
>      IS ASSUMED TO HAVE FIBRES ORIENTED IN ONE DIRECTION ONLY.  THERE IS NO
>      SEPARATION OF FIBRES IN A COMPOSITES MADE OF FABRIC. WHAT SHOULD BE THE
>      FIBRE ANGLE WHILE MODELLING THE FABRIC ELEMENTS?  WHAT SHOULD BE THE
>      PROPERTIES OF THE COMPOSITE MATERIAL IN SUCH A LAYER?
>
>   If we use 0 or 45 or 90 deg. it represnets only one direction and
> the results does not match with actual test results.
>
> Thank you in anticipation
>
> Prasad

Prasad,

The only thing I can think of is to use a 3-D orthotropic material with
the same "E", "G", and "nu" values in both the 1 and 2 planes. Then if
all the laminates are oriented in the same direction, you can use either
0 or 90 degrees for all the laminates(or the actual direction if
different). Maybe you tried this already. I hope this helps.

Steve Asselin
TIW Systems, Inc.
Structures Engineer