Re: Rigid frame deflections (again)

>>The stiffness of a frame is a function of several items including the
following

1) The height of the columns
2) The I of the columns
3) The length of the girders
4) The I of the girders
5) The fixity of the supports
6) The fixity of the joints

The formulae you are using incorporate items 1 to 5 above<<

It seems to me that a lateral force-resisting element that has a longer
span in relation to its height should be stiffer that one which has a
shorter span to height ratio. That was where I was coming from. But yes, I
can see that for a moment frame, the stiffness would depend on a number of
factors.

In residential design, we do a LOT of shear walls and not too many moment
frames. But we are now starting to get into fancier designs where we are
using moment frames, so it's time to look stupid and find all this sutff
out. Better sooner than later.

Kate O'Brien