Re: Disaster dilemma

From: Richard_Ranous/OES(--nospam--at)oes.ca.gov <Richard_Ranous/OES(--nospam--at)oes.ca.gov>
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
Date: Thursday, January 22, 1998 12:57 PM
Subject: RE: Disaster dilemma
.............. I think it is time to
>place the architects vs. engineers argument behind us (at least in relation
>to safety assessment) and move on with improving the program and the
>service it provides to local government and the general public.

In a sense I agree with you but in a greater sense, the debate can't end
until the engineering community is assured that architects are either
educated to improve their understanding of what they adamently fight to
design (structure) or until the their wings are clipped to prevent them from
flying into unchartered territory. In any argument, the fact remains that
the majority of architects do not have the knowledge, skills and training
necessary to entrust the safety of the public with structural design.
Rather than debate the issue "ad infinitem", take a stand and work to change
things or unite forces in efforts to educate the architect for the sake of
public safety.
Dennis Wish PE