Re: Rigid frame deflections (again)

I think that rationale applies more appropriately to shear walls.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kathleen A. O'Brien <wildwoman1(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>
To: INTERNET:seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
Date: Thursday, January 22, 1998 1:01 PM
Subject: Re: Rigid frame deflections (again)

>> It seems that the author is stating  and I
quote: "for both fixed and pinned at base calcs, my 7 foot long frame is
stiffer than my 17 foot one." but concluded the opposite ! Best regards.
Dr. Sassi<<

The column heights and cross sections are all the same. It was the beam
that was longer. It seems to me that a lateral force-resisting element that
has a longer span in relation to its height should be stiffer that one
which has a shorter span to height ratio. That was where I was coming from

Kate O'Brien