RE: Disaster dilemma

My suggestion that only SE's be allowed to perform post
eq assessments was tongue in cheek.

Members of this list have suggested that only those who
have a thorough knowledge of load paths would be competant
in inspecting eq damage.  Fair enough.  However, as you mention
below, even the seemingly most stringent of structural engineering
examinations can not ensure this.

We can not rely on any title, CE, SE, Building Official, Architect, ...
to ensure quality inspections.  As Rick Ranous has suggested, I
think that training is the key.  Not just a one time training,
periodic refreshers should be offered, maybe required.  Bottom line
is that even with training we will still have to rely on a persons own
judgement as to whether or not they are qualified.

Chris Serroels