Re: Disaster dilemma

Frank Lew's comments are right to the point of this particular discussion.
We are mixing every day design activities with the post-disaster
evaluation.  These two issues are not interchangeable.  In the
post-disaster scene there can be no room for egos.  I have heard quite a
lot of disucssion regarding public safety and safeguarding the public.  In
a disaster scenario we need to do just that and we need to use all the
resources at our disposal.

Our program includes engineers (SEs, Civil-structurals, and Civil-civils)
as well as architects, and building inspectors.  Our Civil-civils have, for
the most part, limited themselves to lifeline systems and not buildings and
structures.

In the day-to-day world of design we do have serious problems with
incompetent engineers and architects designing structural systems to
buildings.  This has not escaped the notice of the SEAOC Board of Directors
nor the SEAOSC Board of Directors.  Rawn Nelsons comments regarding NCSEA
and SEI are to the point.  We need to combine our efforts nationwide to
address the problem.  This is the approach that the Boards are taking.  It
will take time and I appreciate the frustration, I have been there and in
many respects still deal with the concept that anyone can do engineering.

Eventually, these problems will be resolved.  The question is what happens
in the meantime?  Each and everyone of us must take a teaching role and
explain why structural systems should be designed only by engineers with
the appropriate qualifications.  We need to teach not only the architect
client, but he architect's client as well.