Re: Disaster dilemma

In a message dated 98-01-23 19:31:07 EST, Dennis Wish wrote:

> Can't stop injecting my 0.02 so here goes. I have a limited agreement with
>  Frank on this issue, but feels that he misses about 50% of the argument.
>  Assessment is only a part of the game. Repair and retrofit is the other
side
>  that will put displaced people back into their homes. This is the side of
>  the problem that becomes overrun with profit mongers and bottom feeders
that
>  infect and give ligitimate engineers a bad reputation.

Rick Ranous' posting that started this thread was focused on the emergency
response phase immediately following a damaging earthquake, when safety
assessments, and decisions based on those assessments, are the primary focus
of government, the media, and the public.  My posting addressed comments that
were made others about who should be assessors.  It was Dennis, Bill and
others who diverted the thread to the recovery phase, when repair and
rehabilitation work are performed, so they can again mount the soapbox to
expound on your favorite subject of unqualified architects and structural
designers.  So, rather than my getting it 50% right, Dennis got this thread
50% off-course.

Frank Lew, SE
Orinda, CA