Re: Disaster dilemma

Have been watching this thread for a while and here is my two cents.

As a graduate of Architectural Engineering at Cal Poly SLO, one of the
finest and most qualified to design any building was a facuilty member at
ARCE, SLO while I was there, Bill Philips, Architect.  All those that
experienced one of his three hour, twenty pages of notes, concrete design
lectures will remember.  He probably is more qualified than some SE's and
alot of CE's I have met.  Another example, another ARCE-SLO, Tom Sabol,
sorry Tom.  Tom ate his wheaties, licensed Architect, Civil and Structural,
along with a PhD, sorry Tom.

As an organizer of the response teams for Loma Prieta, Launders and
Northridge, we teamed up individuals for the tasks at hand.  In Northridge,
we tried to organize the responses by type and occupancy of buildings.
Giving single family and small commerical to a registered professional and
a inspector or a very senior inspector and a inspector.  Multi family and
larger commerical to a very experienced CE or a SE and a inspector.
Schools, Hospitals, government building to a pair of SE's and a inspector.

My partner and I came across multi-family buildings long the 101 east of
the 405 that had been posted GREEN by inspectors, we as two SE's re-posted
as RED, with our SE numbers.  This buildings had all the first floor piers
between the windows were cracked enough to fit your hand through and the
sill was cracked the entire length, NO SHEAR CAPACITY LEFT.

The key is to coordinate all the assistance personnel, while Rick is
training them, we put them to work.  Maybe some of the Architects will be
assigned to coordinate the color combinations of the posters, but the
majority will be assigned work if I am helping in the organization, it may
not be highrise structural work, but it also might include evaluating
exiting or access requirement to building.  Exiting and access was an issue
that we were not a prepared for as maybe we should have been.

That is my two cents.

	Bill Warren, SE
	Newport Beach, CA