Re: Disaster dilemma

In a message dated 98-01-24 14:20:52 EST, Bill Warren wrote:

> Those advising to "GET INVOLVED" do request more of you, and
> more of us all....   maintaining our profession is hard work, yes,
> Dennis you have to do more, as well as all of us.

Well said, Bill!  But you let some folks off too easily.  Even those who are
'geographically impaired' need to make some effort to participate in person on
committees and other professional forums and events.

Teleconferencing, e-mail and the Net may someday produce a new paradigm for
group participation and committee work.  But at least for now, that approach
is just too cumbersome to use to arrive at decisions/consensus, and to produce
deliverables and products that have wide acceptance by standards
organizations, government agencies and law and policy makers.  Participation
means more than getting on a soapbox and orating.  That's easy, especially in
this cyberspace era, but as Bill Allen noted in an earlier posting on this
thread, "Well, this has been another productive thread. What have we
accomplished?".  The answer is, very little.  Participation requires some
sacrifices in time, energy, and sometimes $$ in out-of-pocket expenses and
lost fee opportunities.  And just paying dues to professional organizations
isn't enough.  That's akin to checkbook philanthropy, which is great but not
enough.  Organizations, whether charitable or professional, do need the
financial support, but just as importantly, they benefit immensely from the
time contributions and actual involvement of donors.  And the donors benefit
much more, too.

Frank Lew, SE
Orinda, CA