Re: Rigid frame deflections (again)

re-send

Subject: Re: Rigid frame deflections (again)
Author:  James F Fulton at CCMCED01
Date:    1/22/98 3:37 PM

Kate, when you asked the questions earlier this month, some responses
indicated that you could refer to Kleinlogel's book and find formulas for
rigid frame DEFLECTIONS.  I've got a copy of the 2nd American Edtion, Second
Printing (1964), and in that edition at least, there are only equations for
frame forces and moments--no deflections. I looked in a couple of other
references on my shelf (incl Roark) and can find no DEFLECTION formulas for
rigid frames. I would be interested in knowing if and where others find
deflection formulas for rigid frames.

I've got a copy of the Interchange article, and I used slope-deflection
theory to derive the equation given there for the pinned=end frame. However,
based on my derivation, the equation in Interchange is incorrect in that the
factor in the denominator times Ibm should be "1" , not "2", which
incidentally is what you quoted in your original note.  (You remember, the
one where you did not want to use a "fancy shmancy" $$ computer program for
these "small and uncomplicated" frames)  Well, it looks to me that
defermining frame deflections, as opposed to forces and moments, for even
simple rigid frames is not trivial and there does not appear to much
information (equations) for these structures in the texts either. So a
computer program appears to be the way to go, even for a statically
determinant frame, if one's interest include deflections.