Registration

I guess in some respects we (board members) have been remiss in not
communicating with our members and the engineering community as a whole.
Much of what has been bouncing around in the thread of registration is a
primary item on our agendas for every meeting.

In California, all four local boards and the State board are pushing for
two level structural registration which includes continuing education.  The
SE I and SE II registrations are defined for those individuals who are
designing structural systems for buildings and structures.  Additionally,
this concept is spreading across the country.  NCSEA has taken the lead in
bringing this issue to the forefront.

At this time we are looking at a national exam for both SE I and SE II
categories.  The SE II designation would use the Western States exam which,
in the past, was written by SEAOC members and used as the SE exam in
California.  The idea is to have, as Bill Warren stated, a national
registration issued by the State but recognized nationally.

At the California level, SEAOC is trying to convince Borpels to move in
this direction.  However, it is slow going when you are working with a
State agency that determines what it can and will do based on its yearly
budget.  (I'm not offering excuses for them, it's just reality).

Your voices have been heard and your desires are being acted on.  It would
be nice to be able to tell you it WILL happen and when.  Unfortunately, we
can't do that.

Right now, our attention is somewhat split between the registration issue
and the PECG initiative.  I would say that right now our most important
battle is the PECG initiative.  But, we are not letting the registration
issue linger.  In the next month SEAOC will be appearing before Borpels to
try and convince them of the merit of re-writing the professional engineers
act to establish structural as a full practice act at two levels with
continuing education requirements.