WOOD - Stud Wall Splice

I have a wood framed church under construction.  The sanctuary has a cathedral
ceiling.  At the end of the sanctuary is a full height wall to the under side
of a scissor truss.  The wall was detailed to extend all the way up to the
ceiling.  The contractor built the wall to top plate height, which is 14 feet
above the floor, at the bearing height of the scissor truss.  He wants to
build a cripple wall (for lack of better term) above this to the under side
of the scissor truss, another 5 feet at the ridge line.  This is an interior
partition.

I don't like this first, because it is not what I detailed, and second,
because it puts a hinge in the wall.  I thought about using Simpson strap
ties on each face of the stud and assuming a triangular stress block in
compression to create a moment couple for the bending in the wall caused by 5
psf of differential air pressure.  When I calculate the compression stresses
of the stud to the wall plates the compression in the wood perpendicular to
the grain is too high.  Now I know that we do not consider perpendicular
stresses in stud wall design for sill and top plates, primarily because the
deformation is not critical and it is pure axial loads, no moments.  But this
is near the middle of the wall and has moment so deformation caused by
overstressing could be detrimental.

Has anybody else found a practical way to solve this kind of construction
error before?  If possible I would rather not take the wall down.

Richard Lewis, P.E.
Missionary TECH Team
rlewis(--nospam--at)techteam.org