Re: Registration

Rick,
As I mentioned in one of many posts, we had been contacted by a junior board
member of Borpels about eight months ago who presented a compilation of our
posts on the subject of CE Vs. SE. I'm not saying that the general consensus
agreed with changing the titles to SE Grade 1 and II, but it seemed to be
unanimous that we weed out those not qualified to practice structural
engineering.
Inasmuch as BORPELS should be aware or our collective voice, I would highly
recommend that you retrieve these articles from the archives on the website
and present them a second time to BORPELS. Offhand, I don't remember the
name of the junior member who contact us (Bill Allen might) but I believe
that he was practicing in Big Bear area and is a CE.
You will also find a ton of posts more recent (including the thread you or
Rawn Nelson started).
If what you say is seriously being considered by BORPELS and SEAOC, Bill
Allen and I will rejoice. This will mean that this list has finally been
taken seriously and that our collective voices are "getting involved" and
helping to shape the future of our profession.
I thank you and Bill Warren, Jim Lai and the others from the board who have
been working in our behalf.
One issue you brought up is the boards contact with the membership. I
believe that you have more contact with a larger group of professional who
speak out on issues on the list than you do with our paid membership. To
poll the paid membership is costly and would more-than-likely yield very
apathetic results. One of the advantages to the list is the anonimity of the
member (and professional non-member) who can organize his thoughts and
deliver a very pointed and well stated position. As the list grows so will
your collective voice.
Best of luck to those of you who recognize the benifits of our international
voice.
Dennis Wish PE