Re: FNDN: Residential footings considering frost depth

Dear Bill,

I only go down to the frost depth on exterior footings the interior footing
are protected from frost.Since the frost only goes down thirty inches it will
also only travel laterially thirty inches.  Since we are also bound by the
Model Energy Code here in Utah  exterior footing are insulated to a depth of
twenty-two inches or horizontally under the slab for twenty-two inches.

Going deeper than necessary only adds to the cost of footings.

Jay Crawford, P.E.