Re: This is totally inappropriate for this listserve..

For the record, I agree that Carter was an ineffective president. However, I
have a tremendous respect for the accomplishment this man made after his
term in office. His hard work with Habitate for Humanity has inspired others
to provide much needed housing in this country for those who otherwise would
not have the opportunity. In my area we have the Coachella Valley Housing
Coalition that has a backlog of 5000 families waiting for homes. The local
government absorbs a percentage of their mortgage up to 50% depending upon
the number of children and family income. The owners, like with Habitate for
Humanity, are required to put in 40 hours a week sweat equity on their
homes. To further help, Americorp volunteers are provided. These volunteers
are, in my area, young women who their labor for $4,700.00 worth of college
tuition.
Habitate also fostered the Boys and Girls Club of America to start a program
out here where High School Students are trained and expected to build a home
during their school year in addition to their regular curriculum. This is
known as the Building Horizons program which I volunteer my experience to.
This program has grown over the last three years and this year we are
building four homes with classes from two high schools.
Carter has paid his dues and did much for the american people. Maybe not as
president, but he most certainly deserves much respect for his subsequent
work.
Dennis Wish PE