Re: Rigid frame deflections (again)

It seems we have hit upon the age old question when trying to size the lighest
frame for a given load. Make the columns deeper and/or heavier, or upsize the
beam....? If the beam span is short then it has a large effect on the frame
stiffness, if the beam span is long, relative to the columns; the columns
provide more of the frame stiffness. I just play with the structural analysis
program for a given condition and usually converge on the best solution
quickly. I would imagine there is an optimization method to do this, anyone
know of one? A computer isn't always handy. Thanks in advance.
                          Monte Griffiths, RCE