Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Re: Registration

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Bill, no arguments. Just wanted to tell you that It's hard to tell where
your comments are comming in and others have stopped. Can you change the
text color or size or put a line above and below - something to make it
stand out?

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Allen, S.E. <BAllenSE(--nospam--at)>
To: 'seaoc(--nospam--at)' <seaoc(--nospam--at)>
Date: Thursday, January 29, 1998 3:45 PM
Subject: RE: Re: Registration

-----Original Message-----
From: wish [SMTP:wish(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 1998 2:17 PM
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)
Subject: Re: Re: Registration

California is the same. Your PE exam is simply our CE exam (it would appear)
and our SE exam can only be taked after the CE with a number of years
practical experience and three signitures from SE's familiar with our work.
As I understand the future, if we move to a national exam through the NCEES
then their will no longer be a state issued CE exam. It will be replaced
with the SEI exam. SEII will be dependent upon the state. In other words if
an engineer desires an SEII license (in California), he must take the SE
exam that was written by SEAOC.
>From my understanding, the SE designation in California originated after
1971 Sylmar earthquake. In order to insure the quality of designs for
buildings considered essential or high risk, California decided that an
engineer must pass an additional exam that would designate him a specialist
who would then be recognized to design and work on buildings such as schools
and hospitals. The building that launched this act was the damaged Oliveview
Hospital (spelling?) building. This predates my time in California so I only
know what I have read about it.
[Bill Allen. S.E.]
The Fields Act (enacted in 1935 for schools only after the 1933 Long Beach
E/Q) was expanded after the Sylmar E/Q to include hospitals since there was
so much damage to the Olive View (?) hospital in Sylmar.

Finally, it would be up the each state to adopt a national standard. This
would take some time to occur. However, if each state adopted the standard,
engineers would have an easier time of working in other states since the
licensing standards would be the same.

Dennis Wish PE

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Lewis <rlewis(--nospam--at)>
To: seaoc(--nospam--at) <seaoc(--nospam--at)>
Date: Thursday, January 29, 1998 1:19 PM
Subject: Re: Re: Registration

>It is my understanding it is up to the individual states whether to require
>the Structures I and Structures II NCEES exam.  Some States require SE's to
>design structures while most States only require PE's.  Here in Texas we
>have PE's.  I need to get registered in some other States the require the
>Structures I and Structures II NCEES exam so I am in the process of taking
>them.  I can take the test here in Texas accept there is a catch, they will
>only let those who have passed the PE exam take it.  Therefore, a
>engineer is an advancement past the PE level.
>Richard Lewis, P.E.
>Missionary TECH Team
>The service mission like-minded Christian organizations
>may turn to for technical assistance and know-how.
<< File: Dennis S. Wish.vcf >>
FN:Dennis S. Wish