Re: Re: Registration

At 16:49 1/29/98 PST, Martin Johnson wrote:
>re:
>> From my understanding, the SE designation in California originated after
the
>> 1971 Sylmar earthquake.
>
>Shame on you, Dennis.  The SE title was begun to be enacted just
>prior to the 1934 Long Beach earthquake.  Because that earthquake
>happened at about 3:15 pm, just after kids got out of school, and
>many schools in the area suffered extensive damage which could have
>killed or injured children if the earthquake had happened a few
>minuted earlier, a major motivation of the SE authority began with
>ensuring the safe design of schools.
>----
>
>Martin Johnson
>EQE International, Inc.
>mwj(--nospam--at)eqe.com

Shame on you, Martin!  :<)       According to the USGS "California
Earthquake History 1769-Present" earthquake catalog on their website
(http://www-socal.wr.usgs.gov/cahist_eqs.html) the Long Beach Earthquake
actually happened in on March 11, 1933 at 1:54GMT (5:54 PM PST if my
conversion is right (PST = GMT - 8hrs?)).

The Field Act (the enabling legislation) and the supporting Apprendix A
Regulations (actual code requirements ) governing the design and
construction of schools were adopted by April 10th of the same year (Less
than a month later !!!  Don't you wish government was currently as
responsive and didn't waste tens of millions of dollars on incompetent
special prosecutors?).

BILL CAIN, SE
OAKLAND, CA