Re: Re: Registration

Further clarification:  In my earlier post when I converted the GMT time to
PST, I failed to note that the day of the Long Beach Earthquake would
acturally have been March 10 in California (March 11 in Greenwich).

Bill Cain, SE

>Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 09:30:29 -0800
>To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
>From: "Bill Cain, S.E." <bcain(--nospam--at)ebmud.com>
>Subject: Re: Re: Registration
>
>At 16:49 1/29/98 PST, Martin Johnson wrote:
>>re:
>>> From my understanding, the SE designation in California originated
after the
>>> 1971 Sylmar earthquake.
>>
>>Shame on you, Dennis.  The SE title was begun to be enacted just
>>prior to the 1934 Long Beach earthquake.  Because that earthquake
>>happened at about 3:15 pm, just after kids got out of school, and
>>many schools in the area suffered extensive damage which could have
>>killed or injured children if the earthquake had happened a few
>>minuted earlier, a major motivation of the SE authority began with
>>ensuring the safe design of schools.
>>----
>>
>>Martin Johnson
>>EQE International, Inc.
>>mwj(--nospam--at)eqe.com
>

>Shame on you, Martin!  :<)       According to the USGS "California
Earthquake History 1769-Present" earthquake catalog on their website
(http://www-socal.wr.usgs.gov/cahist_eqs.html) the Long Beach Earthquake
actually happened in on March 11, 1933 at 1:54GMT (5:54 PM PST if my
conversion is right (PST = GMT - 8hrs?)).

>The Field Act (the enabling legislation) and the supporting Apprendix A
Regulations (actual code requirements ) governing the design and
construction of schools were adopted by April 10th of the same year (Less
than a month later !!!  Don't you wish government was currently as
responsive and didn't waste tens of millions of dollars on incompetent
special prosecutors?).

BILL CAIN, SE
OAKLAND, CA