RE: New Subject Please

Let me apologize in advance for the following diatribe. Discussions which
smell of censorship get me slightly riled.

I believe threads on non-engineering topics can have a place on this list.
The popularity of the recent Clintonesque thread and the time invested by
numerous subscribers in its perpetuation validates its importance. And MORE
IMPORTANTLY, no subscriber to the list is forced to read each end every
posting. If you don't like the topic, don't read it. Pretty simple.

I did/am not following the Presidential thread. In fact, there have been
many topics on the list that I have chosen not to follow past the first few
postings. A process one can use to not follow particular threads is very
simple and can be performed with one's e-mail reader with minimal
inconvenience.

1-First simply have your e-mail reader sort the mail by Subject.
2-Second, select the messages with the Subject(s) you don't wish to read
about.
3-Delete.

There already seem to be plenty of rules of participation for the list. I
don't think restricting the content serves us well, particularly as we all
have full control over what we do or do not read. Rather than working to
control what others post to the list we should work on our own control of
the means used to read it.

If you have read this far through the message, Thankyou, and I now pass the
soapbox on to the next freedom of speech advocate ....

Brent Koch, P.E.
Livermore, CA