RE: New Subject Please

If our economy is based on the services of the folks you have listed below, then Capitalism just won't work. In a perfect world and everyone followed the 10 Commandments (regardless of religious background) as well as the Bill of Rights, we would not need many of these folks at all. Of course, it is not a perfect world and most of these folks spend most of their time either prosecuting those who violate these rules or attempt to include their own rules. Almost on a daily basis, these people prove that they are not capable of improving the original plan, yet we continue to support their existence. A couple of years ago, when the Feds temporarily ran out of money and about 100,000 Federal employees were faced with a temporary layoff, did anybody notice? I thought 100,000 was just a good start! (Don't get me started on the Federal Government). Suffice it to say that I believe that individuals with a conscience and a modicum of intelligence are quite capable of making their own decisons.

With regards to the posting of non-technical, non-engineering topics on this listserv, I vote for keeping an open forum (at least until the system cannot handle the traffic). Many of us work in small (some even one person) offices. If we worked in large offices, we would routinely engage our office colleagues in  conversations both of technical as well as non-techical subjects. Why should this listserv be any different? We are a collection of individuals with a lot in common [maybe with the exception of Dennis Wish - just kidding, Dennis :o) ]. I believe this is not only an appropriate place but probably the best place (if not only, for some) for us to discuss issues ranging from ASD vs. LRFD to current events. If the concensus is to refrain from non-technical issues, I'll make that attempt (no promises!), but I think that would be a mistake.

Regards,
Bill Allen
BAllenSE(--nospam--at)pacbell.net