Re:

ACI has a paperback book (I can't find my copy, but I think it's titled "Design
of Foundations for Machinery" - ornage, white & blue cover) which is a
collection of papers on this subject.

I would be very cautious of any rule-of-thumb.  These are often provided by the
equipment manufacturer, and will get you in the ball park, but you really should
do a dynamic analysis if you're concerned about vibration of nearby equipment or
buildings.  You'll need a soils report (be sure to tell the geotechnical
engineer what parameters you need - see the ACI book) and the equipment's
dynamic data - such as  max. angular momentum, & acceleration vs. frequency,
etc.

Also, don't forget to do a seismic overturning analysis if Greensboro is in a
seismic zone other than 0.

Lew Midlam, PE
www.lcm.com