Re: Pitched Tapered Glu-Lam in a three pinned Arch

Paul,
I'm not sure of your geometry.  Are you saying that the top of the glulam frame
is curves in an arc like a bow-string truss, and the bottom is a vaulted ceiling
like a scissor truss?  And, that the '3 pins' you refer to are located at the
tops of the columns and at the peak with the frame fabricated from 2 symmetrical
halves joined at the peak??

If this is the case, then  the top of the glulam is in tension over the columns
(for gravity), and I assume this is what you're referring to.  In the 'classic'
example, the top of the tapered peak tries to 'lift off' the curved glulam,
creating radial tension.  In your case, you don't have a 'peak' over the
columns, you have a single sloped cantilever.  Radial tension will result only
if the glulam plies are curved at this location and the forces try to increase
the radius of curvature (otherwise the radial forces are compressive).  To
determine the radial forces, it's a simple computer analysis using a mesh of
quad-node shells and look for tension at the nodes perpendicular to the glulam
plies.

Regardless of the geometry, if radial tension exists that exceeds the allowables
in the UBC (around 15 psi) , then it must be controlled.   Lag screws installed
from the top of the beam are effective to 'stitch' the plies together.

This is one of those fun types of projects that make engineering interesting.
Don't you think?

Good luck.

Lew Midlam, PE
www.lcm.com