Re: Pushover Analysis Techniques

**Interesting points. However I have a couple questions and comments:

> Remember, Push over analysis is a 1960's era estimated hand analysis
> technique with a stated list of limitations and simplifing assumptions.
> Similar to the approximate methods of the portal and cantilever methods for
> frame analysis, push over requires the structures to be of shear response
> modes or greatest participation from the first mode and not a flexural
> response.

**Don't you by any chance refer to the "Shear Beam" method instead of
**pushover method? Shear beam is a continuous one dimensional element
**whose deformation is due to shear only, not flexural. It is also
**called continuous model of frame. Regarding pushover analysis, I
**have seen its application both for buildings with shear type
**deformation (frames) and flexural type deformation (walls).

> Computational push over analysis has been proposed for non-linear material
> analysis of first mode, shear mode, dynamic response analysis.  This
> disregards any higher modes and any interstory movement differences and
> contributions.
> If you think you want to use this method, review the original literature
> from the 60's and 70's for the assumptions and limitations.

**I would appreciate it if you would dig up the titles of a few papers
**from that era.

Thanks,

Abdi (A.S. Moghadam)
sarvgha(--nospam--at)mcmaster.ca