Re: hyperbolic paraboloids

PFR-

For lots of standard pool info, I would suggest you call either Farrel Miles
or Herman Goodman, both located in the San Fernando Valley, I think.  I don't
have phone numbers for either, but I know both do hundreds of standard pools.
You may also talk to any local reputable pool contractor, as they tend to have
standard plans to build from.  If these leads don't work out, we do have some
details here in the office, but not an excessive amount, and most are for
specilaized conditions.

Generally, design your gunite shell as a cantilevered concrete wall resisting
water load in one direction or soil load in the other.  Then, even though the
wall is cantilevered, add a 12"x12" bond beam at the top with 4 bars in it,
"just because it's always been done that way."

Good luck.

Bruce Resnick, SE
Parker Resnick Str. Eng.