Garage door detail

I would like to get some feedback on the attached zipped detail.

This detail was handed out at the APA  Workshop in Pasadena December 10,
1997 (many of you may also have gotten it).  It is a garage door detail,
which consists of a GLB spanning the garage opening, supported by two very
narrow (16" min) walls, which are sheathed on two sides. The ply sheathing
is nailed to the GLB in a grid pattern.  Tiedown straps are added between
the GLB and the walls, with HD's as the footing.

My initial thoughts on this are:

We could resolve the moment at the GLB/wall connection by distributing the
load to the nails in the grid pattern (this was a basic statics problem in
school). The nails would all be in shear.

We could determine the uplift force by resolving the moment into a couple
(another basic statics problem). We could use standard Simpson products (or
equal) for the straps and holdowns.

What we are doing is creating a wood moment frame. Is this wise?? If wood,
over time, shrinks, or takes on a permanent deflection, wouldn't the nails
lose their shear resistance capacities?

Talk to me, people

Kate O'Brien, P.E.
Simi Valley, CA