Re: WOOD - Stud Wall Splice

Mel -

<< On another note.  This type of thing seems to be a problem in our
profession.
 The contractor makes a "mistake" and the engineer bails him out, a lot of the
 time without adequate compensation when the disruption to the office and risk
 factors are concerned.  There are mistakes made in the course of
construction.
 Leaving out one or two anchor bolts for hold downs is a mistake.  Leaving out
 all of the anchors then having the engineer bail them out is something else.
 This "mistake" falls into the same catagory.  The contractor didn't make a
 mistake -- he ignored the plans.  I think we sometimes make it too easy for
 the contractor to ignor the plans.  The next time a contractor calls you at
 4:30 on Friday and says "(insert your name here) WE have a problem and YOU
 just have to help me".  Ask yourself (and the contractor) two questions:
What
 do you mean we? and Why? >>

I think we have to be very careful about an "us" vs. "them" approach with the
contractors.  First of all, noone's plans are perfect or detailed 100%.  We
all rely on the contractor to interpret the plans and build accordingly.
Certainly there will be occassions where the contractor screws up and needs to
rebuild things, but I think it is hasty to answer all construction screw ups
with "build it per plan".

Look at the other side.  What if you forget to add an anchor bolt to your
plan?  Should the contractor omit it and then make you pay for it during
construction as a retrofit?  This would drive us all out of business in about
2 weeks.

All I'm saying is that we, that is the engineer, the contractor, and the
architect and the owner for that matter, all have a vested interested in
having the best building built that is possible.  When a good building is
built, everyone wins.  If there are problems with the building, everyone
loses, regardless of who's fault it is.  If we lose sight of the common goal
of a good building, and start blaming others we are sure to create a worse end
product.

I apologize for the somewhat high and mighty tone this note has taken, but I
think you get my point, and I don't have the time and energy to rework it
right now.

Bruce Resnick, SE
Parker Resnick Str. Eng.