From: Bill Allen, S.E. <BAllenSE(--nospam--at)pacbell.net>
To: 'seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org' <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
Date: Wednesday, February 04, 1998 4:06 PM
Subject: RE: FNDT: Shearwall and slab foundation question

Started using YOUR abbreviations again, eh?

IMHO, sounds like grade beam time to me. If this question came into my
office, I would have a hard time justifying the (free) time to do a
questionable analysis just to save the owner some bucks. I could always
respond "sorry about the grade beam, it was required due to a plan check
correction". Keep in mind, once you start distributing the forces a long
distance away, you will need additional reinforcement (in the slab, etc.)
anyway. I would question the capability of the slab/thickened edge to resist
uplift forces requiring an HD8A (6k +/-).

My $1.50
Regards,
Bill Allen